How to Make Delicious Lumpia Shanghai
Lumpia Shanghai, also called fried spring roll, is a delicacy in the Philippines. This recipe is easy to follow.
Lumpia shanghai is one of the favorite food of Filipinos. Even those who have migrated to other countries still choose to make this in their new homeland.
This recipe for a delicious fried spring roll has been passed on from generation to generation.
Ingredients of Lumpia Shanghai
- 1 pound ground pork (could be replaced with beef, fish flakes with the bones removed, or veggies)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
Ingredients of Lumpia Wrapper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Making the Lumpia Wrapper
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, water, cornstarch, flour, and salt until smooth.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat. Brush with a little oil.
- Pour batter into the pan to cover the entire surface of the pan.
- Cook until wrapper is lightly browned and the surface looks dry.
- Turn over the wrapper, and cook 10 seconds longer.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
Cooking the Lumpia Filling
- Completely mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Lay out a few wrappers at a time on a flat surface, and place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in a line down the center of the wrapper.
- Take the bottom and top edges of the wrapper and fold them towards the center. Moisten the last edge of the wrapper to seal.
- Heat oil for frying in a pan and fry the lumpia and filling until golden brown.
- Serve the lumpia hot, with sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce with lemon, or banana ketchup.
Enjoy your lumpia!
Aleah is a blogger, runner, traveler, diver, and soon to be cook. You can read her solo travels in her blog Solitary Wanderer, her tales of running in Running and Happiness, and her food posts and reviews in Adventuring Foodie.