Samosas- Stuffed Pastries
published by khrys24 on Nov 6, 2008
Stuffed pastries serves about 30. With ginger root, garlic, potatoes, peas, mint, onion and more.
Serves about 30
- 1 ½ Cups of all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
- ¾ Teaspoon of salt
- ½ Cup of warm water
- 1 Tablespoon ghee
- 1 Clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon chopped ginger root
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 1 ½ Cups mashed potatoes
- ½ Cup cooked peas
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Teaspoon fresh coriander or mint vegetable oil for frying.
Start of Pastry
- In medium mixer bowl, blend flour, oil, salt, and water until soft dough forms
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Cover and set aside while preparing filling
Start preparing filling
- In large skillet, heat ghee over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger root, and onion. Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in mashed potatoes and peas. Season with garam masala and coriander or mint.
- Using fingers, shape tablespoons of pastry dough into small balls. Roll each ball into a flat circle about 6″ in diameter.
- Cut each circle in half. Place 1 teaspoon of filling on one side of each half circle.
- Moisten the edge of the pastry with water. Fold dough over to form a triangle and press edges together to seal.
- In a deep saucepan, heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry Samosas a few at a time until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Serve immediately.