Prep: 20 min. Cook: five min./batch
Yield: six Servings.
- Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- Yield: 6 Servings
20 5 25 Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the milk, egg yolks and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the blueberries, 1/4 cup orange juice and honey. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining orange juice until smooth; gradually stir into berry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm with waffles. Yield: 12 waffles (1-1/3 cups sauce).
Note: If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutritional Facts 2 waffles with 3-1/2 tablespoons sauce equals 371 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 461 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Trick for Fluffy Pancakes & Waffles
For very light and tender pancakes or waffles, separate the egg and beat the white until stiff. Stir the yolk and other liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in the beaten egg white