French Toast Recipe – Simple and Tasty
Go on and make your today!
Making French toast is really simple and easy. It takes only minutes to make it. You can even make it for your kid’s snack box when you are running and have little time to make anything elaborate for them. It delicious too, so quite likely it won’t be trashed in the playground “by mistake” by them. Here are the steps for you.
To make French toast with four slices of bread you will need –
1. 2 eggs
2. A cup of milk (vary the richness of the dish by using skim milk, whole milk, or even half-and-half)
3. 4 slices of brown or multigrain bread (to make it more nutritious). However one of the tastiest is by using sourdough bread.
4. 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (you could even use natural vanilla and scoop out a little pulp from inside it)
5. 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder 92 small sticks of cinnamon would also do)
6. Half a teaspoon of salt
1. Beat the egg well with the salt, vanilla essence and the cinnamon powder. If you are using cinnamon sticks and natural vanilla beans then hold onto them for later. In that case just beat the eggs with salt.
2. Now pour the beaten eggs into the milk and whip it well. If you are using the cinnamon sticks and the pulp of the vanilla beans, then add this to the milk now.
3. Take a wide and shallow non-stick frying pan and heat some olive oil in it. You could use butter instead as well.
4. Once the oil is hot, soak a piece of bread into the milk and egg mixture on both sides till it’s thoroughly coated (if you do not want them too soggy in the middle then don’t soak them for too long) and then put it slowly into the pan. Before putting a soaked slice of bread into the pan, hold it over the bowl so that the excess egg mixture drains off. Else there is too much spluttering in the hot oil pan.
5. It might sound surprising but the best French toast is made out of slightly hardened stale bread. Else you could first dry the bread in low oven for a couple of minutes before using it.
6. When one side has become slight golden in color, flip it over.
7. Cook both sides well so that no uncooked egg remains.
8. Take it out of the oil and place it on a tissue paper to soak out all the excess oil.
9. Repeat the steps with the other slices as well.
10. Cut them diagonally and serve it hot.
11. Sprinkle some sugar dust over the bread slices before serving. In case if you have some time before serving it then put them in a dish and keep them covered in a warm oven.
12. You could serve it with 3 small bowls 0-f honey, caramelized sugar syrup and melted butter.
The best thing about this recipe is that most of the basic ingredients – bread, eggs, milk and salt are present at any time in any household. The rest are just ingredients to make it fancier! So go ahead and make one of the simplest and most satisfying of all breakfasts.