This great sweet temptation is usually a Christmas dessert in Greece, I don’t see why we can’t enjoy it all year!
1 and a half cup olive oil
1/2 cup margarine
1/3 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
zest from 2 oranges
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups grated walnuts
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the syrup:
2 cups honey
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1. Mix all the ingredients together exept from the flour, the baking powder and the walnuts.
2. Add the flour and the baking powder and mix, but don’t knead.
3. To roll cookies take a small portion of dough and shape into a small (like an egg), lightly flattened oval.
4. Bake them in a preheated oven at 180C for about 45 minutes.
5. For the syrup, mix the honey, sugar and water and place on high heat. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium and let it boil for about 5 minutes.
6. Place the cookies in a baking pan and pour the syrup. Let it absorb for 30 minutes on the one side and then turn them on the other side. Let them absorb all night.
7. The next morning place them on a platter and sprinkle with cinammon and grated walnuts.