Recipe for Super Cheesy Egg Casserole: Cheesy, Cheesier, Cheesiest
Eggs, cheese, and casserole are three words which promise a tasty combination.
Casseroles come in many forms, from fruit to fish to meat to vegetable, and are enjoyed as main or side dishes. Cheese is a popular ingredient, which may be mixed in with other ingredients as well as sprinkled on the top for a bubbly, tasty finale. Paired with eggs as the main ingredient, a cheesy casserole is easy and delicious for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
This recipe features eggs and cheese as the main ingredients. It is a basic recipe which is satisfying and versatile. Super Cheesy Egg Casserole beautifies every table and is a pleasing main or side dish for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Its versatility also welcomes creativity with the addition of other ingredients or with substitutions. For example, milk may be substituted for buttermilk. If so, substitute 2 teaspoons of baking powder for the teaspoon of baking soda in order to restore the acidic balance in the recipe: because buttermilk is more acidic than milk, it foils the leavening ability of baking powder by reducing the amount of carbon dioxide which is released.
Nevertheless, although additional ingredients come and go, this basic, tasty, easy recipe stands on its own as a family favorite for both everyday and holiday meals.
Super Cheesy Egg Casserole
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower oil (for greasing baking dish/casserole)
- 12 large eggs (my preference: brown free-range)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (known as corn flour in the UK)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar in the raw (turbinado in USA; demerara in UK)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, sliced (Note: do not drain water chestnut liquid)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 16 ounces (2 cups) cottage cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) tub of Philadelphia Savory Lemon & Herb Cooking Creme
- 2 pounds shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Asiago or mozzarella cheese (for topping)
- 13 inch x 9 inch baking pan (or 2 1/2 or 3 quart casserole dish)
- 1 Tablespoon measuring spoon
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 teaspoon measuring spoon
- 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon
- 1 cup measuring scoop
- 1/2 cup measuring scoop
- large spoon or rubber spatula
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit (176° Celsius; gas mark 4).
- Drizzle sunflower oil in baking dish; gently shake to cover bottom, and use spatula or fingers to spread to sides.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cornstarch, baking soda, buttermilk, sugar, and seasonings (sea salt, white pepper). Add chives, mushrooms, water chestnuts with their liquid, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and shredded sharp cheddar.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes; then pull out rack to sprinkle Asiago (or mozzarella) as topping and bake for 10 more minutes.
Makes 12 to 16 servings, which may be served hot or cold.
Copyright: Saturday, July 28, 2012 by Stessily.