When is pancake day? What is pancake day? Pancake recipes.
In this article I will answer them all.
When is Pancake day?
Pancake day is always on a Tuesday. Pancake day is on Tuesday 21st of February 2012. In 2013 Pancake day will be on Tuesday 12Th of February. Pancake day for Australia is 21st of February 2012, and in 2013 it would be on the 12Th of February. In Russia Pancake day is on the 27Th of February to the beginning of March, they have the same date every year.
What is Pancake Day?
Pancake day is also known as Shrove Tuesday. Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday,Ash Wednesday is the start of where you give something up for 40 days the period of time is called Lent. On Pancake day it is traditional that you make pancakes for your and/or your family. Shrove Tuesday is the day before lent.
Why is it called Shrove Tuesday
It gets it’s name from the word Shrive which means to confess. In the olden days they used to confess what they had done bad and they were then forgiven before lent. And the part is because Shrove Tuesday is always on a Tuesday.
Pancake day recipes:
There are lot’s of different pancake recipes here are a few:
Sugar and Lemon
This recipe makes 12 to 14 pancakes, it has just under 30 minutes preparation time and under 10 minutes cooking time.
For the main mixture:
110g/4oz sifted plain flour
200ml/7fl milk mixed with 75ml/3fl of water
Pinch of salt
Lemon slices (optional)
1) Sift the Flour and salt in to a large mixing bowl using a sieve.
2) Break the eggs into the flour and salt, then mix it all together.
3) Add in the milk in small doses (It can be lumpy).
4) Melt all of the butter in a frying pan, then add 2 table spoons into the mixture.
5) Now try a test pancake to see how much batter you need, try to fill the pan up wit a thin layer of batter.
6) Once you have cooked all of your pancakes and flipped them over you can make the toppings.
7) To serve them sprinkle some caster sugar and add some lemon juice, fold them in half and sprinkle with more sugar if you have to. To top it all off you could add a lemon slice for decoration.