Tingle Your Tongue One – Atlas Mountain Omelet
This easy-to-make traditional Moroccan Omelet comes from the faraway Atlas Mountains. Ideally make it in a clay or enamel Moroccan tagine-oven, or, in a heavy fry pan. Stuffs two.
Image via Wikipedia | Virgin Olive Oil is perfect for your Atlas Mountain Omelete – Happy Tingling
1 tablespoon virgin olive oil with a knob of butter. Adding a knob of butter to olive oil always prevents the oil from burning
1 Large purple Spanish onion; chopped roughly and fast with the skin on. Pluck the skin away after chopping
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of dry coriander
1 teaspoon of tumeric
2 Tomatoes; roughly chopped with skin on
1 Bunch of fresh cilantro (fresh coriander). Chop the lot, as the roots and stalks, hold the flavour
6 Eggs; cracked into a bowl and whisked for thirty seconds, towards the end of the process, for freshness
Pre-heat grill, if grilling, is possible at the end.
- Heat virgin oil with a knob of sweet butter in the tagine or pan, on low heat, until hot
- Add the roughly chopped Spanish onion and fry, until the onion is soft, and slightly opaque
- Add the three teaspoons of cumin, coriander and tumeric and stir until the spices are absorbed by the onion and a wondrous smell fills the air
- Add chopped stalk and roots of the cilantro (fresh coriander) then fry a touch
- Add those roughly chopped tomatoes, skin on, and stir them in good. Cook for a few minutes until the tomato is to your texture and taste
- Whisk egg and drown the frying mixture by evening the egg across the pan with a wood spoon. Maintain on low heat and cover with lid.
- Add the leaves and the top of the cilantro (fresh coriander).
- Cook for about five to ten minutes
- Remove lid and brown under the grill or in the oven. Sometimes pans cannot fit under a grill. It isn’t essential to grill the top of your Atlas Mountains Omelet but makes for a better, browner omelet.
Serve with a crisp, fresh salad and crunchy bread straight from your tagine or fry pan.
As you become emboldened with the Atlas Mountain Omelets consider sprinkling cheese on the top prior to grilling. I also enjoy adding slices of long and mild chilli, in a flower design, at the end for decoration.