Best Buttery Caramel Recipe Ever
Sweeten your holidays with these fabulous, melt-in-your-mouth caramels.
What makes this recipe so fabulous? It’s soooo easy! The gooey sweetness reward only tastes like you slaved for days. I personally don’t make the recipe with nuts. I also cook on an electric range top and go by time vs. using a candy thermometer and have yet to be disappointed. Also, when cutting the caramels into squares, I recommend occasionally heating your knife in hot water. It’ll make cutting quicker and cleaner. For the holidays it’s great to used colored wax paper for wrapping. Enjoy!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened consensed milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- Lightly butter a 9×9x2 inch pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy 3 quart saucepan over medium heat; stir in brown sugar and salt. Stir in corn syrup. Slowly pour in milk, stirring constantly until blended.
- Using a candy thermometer, cook to 248 degrees (or approximately 23 minutes!), stirring occasionally. The mixture will be very bubbly.
- Remove sauce pan from heat and stir in vanilla and nuts. Immediately pour into prepared pan.
- Let candy cool completely before cutting into 1-inch squares. Wrap each square in waxed paper or plastic wrap and store in an air tight container at room temperature.
About 2 pounds