Fruit Cake Recipe
This works well as a Christmas cake, or a fruit cake to decorate for special occasions. We made this at school, using the mixture to make mini cakes as well which were fun. It stores quite well, in an airtight container, and you can add different dried fruit or mixed peel as well!
100g soft brown sugar
1 tbsp treacle
1tsp mixed spice
100g plain flour
350g mixed fruit, such as raisins and sultanas
6 or 7 glace cherries, chopped.
Marzipan and royal icing sheet to decorate
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the treacle.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well.
- Slowly sieve in the flour, folding into the mixture.
- Add the dried mixed fruit and the glace cherries, mix in well.
- Pour the mixture into a large cake tin, either square or round, depending on your preference.
- Bake at 180 degrees Centigrade, for approximately 2 hours (check by sticking a skewer or knife into the cake after 2 hours, if the skewer or knife comes out clean, it is done, otherwise put the cake back into the oven for a bit longer, keep checking after 10 minutes until the skewer comes out clean if testing again.
- Turn out the cake onto a rack to cool, then you can decorate with marzipan and roll-out royal icing (paste some fruit jam such as apricot onto the cake then place the marzipan on top, followed by the icing.)