Single Serve Berry Cakes
Fill your home with the gorgeous aroma of these delightful, freshly baked berry cakes.
Berry Cakes Image by Author
This berry cake recipe can be tweaked to your heart’s desire simply by adding some extra ingredients at serving time. For example: top with ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt, pouring cream, custard, melted chocolate, crushed flaked chocolate, fruit salad etc.
Single Serve Berry Cakes Ingredients:
- 150g of Ground Almonds (Almond Meal)
- 1¼ Cups of Confectioners’ Sugar
- ¾ Cup of Gluten-Free Plain Flour
- 1 Lemon
- 5 Egg Whites
- 150g of Butter
- 150g Punnet of Blueberries or Raspberries
- Ice Cream (to serve, optional)
- Whipped Cream (to serve, optional)
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar, finely grate the zest of 1 lemon and allow the egg whites to warm to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 2000C and grease a 12 well (1/3 cup capacity) muffin pan or an 8 well (½ cup capacity) mini loaf pan.
- Place the butter into a small saucepan and heat until melted, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the ground almonds, the sifted confectioners’ sugar, the flour and the grated lemon zest into a large mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add the room temperature egg whites into another mixing bowl and, using a fork, whisk the egg whites until they become frothy.
- While, gently stirring, add the whisked egg whites to the flour mixture and continue mixing until just combined, then gradually stir in the melted butter and then gently fold in the berries.
- Spoon the berry cake mixture into the wells of your prepared muffin pan or mini loaf pan until all of the muffin pan wells are ¾ full.
- Transfer the loaded muffin pan to your preheated oven and bake, at 2000C, for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the single serve berry cakes comes out clean.
- When cooked, remove from the single serve berry cakes from the oven, place the single serve berry cakes still in the muffin pan onto a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before turning the single serve berry cakes out onto the wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the single serve berry cakes have cooled transfer them to an airtight container to await serving.
- These portions will yield 12 single serve berry cakes or 8 mini loaves.
- Serve your single serve berry cakes as is with a beverage such as: tea, coffee, milk etc.
- You could, of course, serve these single serve berry cakes in a dessert bowl with a scoop or 2 of ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream and top with a red glace cherry and a sprinkling of crushed flaked milk chocolate.
- Here is another great way to serve berry cakes is to place a berry cake into a dessert bowl, add some fruit salad, custard, a scoop of ice cream, a drizzle of smooth melted chocolate and a sprinkling of hundreds and thousands.
- Single serve berry cakes really do make great lunchbox snacks, or coffee break treats at work.