Trinidadian Black Cake
An easy recipe to make the original trinidadian Christmas Cake or Black Cake from scratch.
Here, I have brought an easy to make, dark, heavy and delicious Christmas Cake from my second home, Trinidad & Tobago for those who does not, Trinidad & Tobago is a twin island situated in the Caribbean very close to Venezuela, my home country… well I did not move to far from my family. But it is incredible how history and events have been different in both countries, and this has affected the way how people cook and the flavours.
Trinidad & Tobago was an English colony many years ago, so Trinidadians adopted this English tradition, where a fruit cake is served during the Christmas season, in general, this fruit cake contain dried fruits and spices. Our very own Trini Christmas Cake.The Trinidadian black cake, is very rich and heavy, an explosion of flavours, it is sticky-wet and delicious, but you have to eat it in small portions because can be overwhelming. So I always serve small portions, but people always ask for more.
Here is my favorite recipe for a black cake, you will enjoy this recipe. Try to make this cake, if you have never make a black cake this is a very easy recipe to follow and the results are very good.
TRINIDAD BLACK CAKE (Christmas Cake)Recipe taken from “The Multicultural Cuisine of Trinidad & Tobago & The Caribbean”, by Naparima Girl’s High School Cookbook
1 lb. prunes, seeded and chopped1 lb. raisins1 lb. currants1 lb. sultanas1/4 lb. mixed peel1/2 lb.cherries, chopped in half1/4 lb chopped almonds1- 1/2 cups cherry brandy2 cups rum2 cups or 1 lb. butter2 cups or 1 lb. sugar (brown or granulated)10 eggs (large)2 tsp. grated lime peel2 tsp. vanilla extract1 lb. or 4 cups flour4 tsp. baking powder2 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/4 cup browning or more1 cup mixture of rum, cherry brandy and sherry
- On the day before or a few days before baking cake combine prunes, raisins, currants, sultanas, mixed peel, cherries, almonds, cherry brandy and rum.
- Line three 8″ round cake pans with double layers of wax paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time: add lime peel and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon, fold into creamed mixture gradually.
- Add fruit and enough browning to give desired colour: stir well.
- Put in lined baking pans 3/4 full and bake in a preheated oven at 250 F for first hour: reduce heat to 200 F – 225 F for remaining 1-1/2 hours or until tester comes out clear.
- Pick hot cake and soak with the mixture of rum, cherry brandy and sherry. Cover and set aside. As alcohol soaks in pour more and continue to do so for 12 hours.
Serving Size (132 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from fat 122
- Decorate you cake free style with poinsetias flower natural or artificial, peeled almonds, cherries red and green.
- Place the cake on a white cake base.
- Make the cakes in a squere or rectangular pan, cut the cake like mini cakes, decorate the cake as it was mentioned before,rap them in plastic and place the decorated cakes in decorated boxes or tin. It is a beautiful gift for the holiday.
- Other idea is to put the mix in individual pans