Italian Ricotta Cookies
This Italian Christmas cookie recipe has been in my family for four generations and it is with great pride that I share this family secret with you.
- 2 sticks of margarine
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 lb of ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups of all purpose white flour
- Place margarine in large mixing bowl and allow it to soften at room temperature. A microwave can be used to speed the process, but do not liquify the margarine.
- Add in sugar and blend with spoon.
- Continue mixing while adding in eggs, vanilla, and ricotta cheese.
- Mix in baking soda and salt.
- Mix in flour 1/2 cup at a time. Batter will become increasingly stiff as flour is added and will require a little elbow grease.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and place rack one level below middle of oven.
- Grease baking sheet with margarine wrappers or cooking spray.
- Drop off batter by teaspoon full or use pastry funnel. Keep cookies about a half inch apart.
- Place sheet in oven for 15 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Be careful, cookies will burn quickly.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking rack. Once cool, top with icing and sprinkles as desired.
Note: Low-fat and fat free substitutes are not recommended as cookies will come out hard and dry.
Makes about 50 quarter-sized cookies.