Spicy Almond Slices
Spicy Almond Slices Recipe.
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla axtract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sliced blanched almonds (about 8 oz)
In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat first 10 ingredients and 2 cups flour until well mixed. With wooden spoon, stir in almonds and remaining 1 1/2 cups flour; mix throughly with hands, if necessary. (Dough will be stiff).
Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 10″ by 3″ by 1″ brick; wrap each brick in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or freeze at least 2 hours, until firm enough to slice. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut 1 brick into 3/4 inch thick slices (keep remainder refrigerated).
Place slices, 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until browned around edges. With pancake turner, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough. Serve in tightly covered container.