Apples are Loaded with Vitamins and Antioxidants
Apples are good for your health. They are loaded with fiber, vitamins antioxidants and minerals. An apple a day will surely help to keep the doctor away. What could be better than to bite into a cool crunchy apple. Packed with antioxidants and vitamins, they are delicious right off the tree or made into many delicious desserts. Keep a bowl full handy for the kids to snack on and avoid the salty fatty food they like to munch on.
Apples are good for you. We all know the old saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” There may be more truth in that than we thought. With just 80 calories and packed with vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. Apples are most nutritious when eaten out of hand, but they are also good cooked in your favorite recipes. Apples provide more fiber than most cereals and breads. About 80% of its fiber is soluble, which reduces cholesterol. The other 20% is thought to prevent some cancers. The high fiber contend also maintain blood sugar levels. Apples contain essential vitamins, A, B, B.and C. also niacin, phosphorous, magnesium, iron and potassium.
Varieties of apples.
- Braeburn’s are sweet, spicy and crisp, reddish orange and in season from October to July.
- Red Delicious are sweet and crisp, deep red and in season all year long.
- Golden Delicious are sweet, mild and slightly crisp, light yellow and are in season from September to June.
- Rome’s are mild, sweet and firm, deep red and are in season from late October to September.
- Fuji’s are sweet and crisp, bright red and are in season from October to August.
- Jonagold’s are sweet, tart and firm, reddish orange and are in season September to April.
- Jonathon’s are Sweet, tart and firm, light red with light yellow background or red. And are in season September to April.
- Mcintosh’s are sweet, tart and tender, red and green and are in season September to June.
Here are some apple recipes you might want to try.
Apple Upside-down Cake
- About 7 medium apples,
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- About 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Oil spray for cake pans.
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Peel and slice apples, melt butter in large saucepan, put apples in melted butter.
- Cook on low heat slowly till one side of apples is slightly brown, turn over and brown other side.
- Take off heat.
- Mix your cake mix as directed on package.
- Spray cake pans.
- Place cooked apples in bottom of cake pans.
- Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top of apples.
- Pour prepared cake mix on top of apples.
- Bake in 350 oven till top springs back when lightly touched about 25 minutes.
- Cool slightly in oven then turn out on rack; good eaten warm or cold.
Old Fashioned Apple Pie
- 1 pie crust or 2
- About 8 apples, according to the size of your crust, eyeball it.
- 1/2 cup sugar to 1 cup
- A few spoons water
- Peel apples and slice, mix sugar and cinnamon in apples.
- Place apples in pie crust.
- Put in a couple tsps water.
- Dot top with butter and place crust on top if you wish.
- Bake in 350 oven 45 to 50 minutes until done.
- You could mix some sugar, butter cinnamon and flour together and put on top of apples instead of crust for crumb topping or you can leave off crust altogether.
Fried Apples for Breakfast
Good with buttered biscuits
Peel as many apples as you need for your family and slice, Use size skillet accordingly, Melt low fat butter in skillet, three or four tbsp. Or as much as you need, put apples in butter. Cook on medium low until golden and softened. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon to taste. Stir well and serve with hot buttered biscuits.
As many apples as you need for your family, washed and cored
One spoon of low fat butter for each apple, mix enough sugar and cinnamon for about a spoonful in each apple
Put the butter in each apple, then the sugar cinnamon mixture. Place on microwave plate and cover with wet paper towel. For four apples, microwave about 6 minutes. You will have to check every once in awhile. Microwaves all cook differently. When apples are slightly soft they are done.
If you wish you can mix your butter, sugar and cinnamon together and put in apples instead of separating.
If you would like to publish your articles and earn money click on this site. http://www.triond.com/rw/6239