Basil-stuffed Lamb Roast
Basil-stuffed lamb roast.
serves 10–12 ingredients
For the roast 2 garlic cloves, minced
2.7kg/6lb leg of lamb, boned and 2 eggs, beaten
butterflied (you can ask your 50g/2oz fresh flat-leaf parsley,
butcher to do this) snipped
1 teaspoon crushed dried 3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
rosemary 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried
For the stuffing 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
50ml/2fl oz olive oil 1.4kg/3lb plain croыtons
175g/6oz onion, chopped 4 tablespoons freshly grated 75g/3oz celery, chopped Parmesan cheese
• Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas mark 3.
• To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a pan and sweat the onion, celery and garlic until soft but not browned.
• In a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, parsley, basil, marjoram and pepper. Add the onion mixture, and stir in the croыtons and Parmesan. Drizzle with 125ml/4fl oz water to moisten, tossing lightly. Set aside.
• Pound the meat to an even thickness and sprinkle with the rosemary. Spread the stuffing over the lamb, then roll up and tie the meat securely. Put the roast, seam side down, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
• Roast for 11⁄2–2 hours. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving.