This recipe offers the taste of the Greek Isles with feta cheese, pesto, and tomatoes and the eggplant layered together create this tasty side dish, appetizer, or meal.
Grilled eggplant is smoky and delicious. This recipe offers the taste of the Greek Isles with feta cheese, pesto, and tomatoes and the eggplant layered together create this tasty side dish, appetizer, or meal. This recipe makes four servings, or two stacks per person. Each serving is just under 600 calories.
4 to 5 Tomatoes
4 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
4 Tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
1 Lemon, juiced
1 1/4 Cups of store-bought pesto
1 1/4 Cups of crumbled feta
½ Cup of basil
Salt and pepper
1. Thinly slice the four eggplants and tomatoes.
2. Lay out the eggplant slices on a cookie sheet.
3. Sprinkle the eggplant slices lightly with salt and pepper.
4. In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice.
5. Brush the eggplant slices with the vinegar mixture.
6. Heat a grill pan, or use the broiler, to cook the eggplant. Turn it over occasionally, until the eggplant it tender. This should take between six and ten minutes. Be careful not to let the eggplant burn. It is best to cook them on low heat, and slowly, for the optimum sweetness.
7. Remove the eggplant from the heat and set aside.
8. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
9. Arrange four of the biggest eggplant slices side by side on the cookie sheet.
10. Spread a thin layer of pesto on each of the eggplant slices that you had placed on the cookie sheet.
11. Place one of the largest tomato slices on top of each of the pesto covered eggplant slices.
12. Season each of those tomato slices with salt, pepper, about a tablespoon of feta cheese, and a pinch of chopped basil.
13. Continue layering in the same pattern, using cheese for the uppermost layer.
14. Bake, or grill, the layered eggplant untill the cheese starts getting melty. This should only take around three minutes.
15. Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy.