How to Make Sweet Potato Powder
published by Yuditha86 on Jan 26, 2012
Steps to make fine sweet potato powder.
Kitchen Utensils needed: Potato peeler, oven, food grinder, bucket
- Pick the small size sweet potatoes, since its cleaner than the big sweet potatoes.
- Clean all the sweet potato tubers from dust and soils with fresh water.
- Peel the sweet potato skin and put the tuber in a bucket containing water. It helps to slow down browning process that make the tubers color become brown or even black.
- Peel the tubers using potato peeler as thin as you can.
- Put the thin tubers at stainless steel trays one by one, don’t overlap to each others.
- Put the trays in the oven at 80oC temperature to dry the thin tubers.
- After 2-3 hours, take the trays out, let it be cooled in room temperature first, and now it will become dry chips (the time needed to make it dry depends on the tuber thickness).
- Grind the sweet potato chips with food grinder/dry blender as fine as you can to make rough sweet potato powder.
- Filter the rough sweet potato powder with 80/100 mesh filters or any clean thin fabric with bigger pores.
- Your fine sweet potato powder is ready to become an ingridient for your cake, bread, cookies (I made this with sweet potato powder), biscuits, etc. Based on my experiments, 1 kilogram fresh sweet potato yields 250 grams powder.