Shrimp Paste Sambal, Sambal Belacan, Cucumber and Pineapple Sambal,prawns with Broad Beans
Shrimp Paste Sambal, Cucumber and Pineapple Sambal, Prawns with Broad Beans.
Image via Wikipedia
Shrimp Paste Sambal : 2 tablespoons Belacan, 8 small fresh chillies,seeded,chopped, 2 teaspoons lime juice.
(1) Add belacan to dry pan cook until dry and crumbly. (2) Pound belacan and chillies in mortar and pestle to a coarse paste,stir in juice make about 2 tablespoons. Recipe can be made a week ahead.
Storage: covered in refrigerator. Freeze: not suitable. Microwave: not Suitable.
Cucumber and Pineapple Sambal: 3 teaspoons belacan, 2 small fresh red chillies,seeded finly chopped, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teasppon sugar, 1 smal (130g) green cucumber peeled seeded chopped, 1 small (800g) pineapple chopped, 6 green shallots sliced.
(1) Add belacan to dry pan cook until dry and crumbly. Combine belacan and chillies in small bowl; grind together with mortar and pestle stir in juice,sauce and sugar mix well.
(2) Combine cucumber ,pineapple and shallots in bowl stir in belacan mixture . This should serves 4-6 people. Recipe can be made a day ahead. Storage: covered in refrigerator. Freeze: not suitable. Microwave: not suitable.
Prawns with Broad Beans: 3 small fresh red chillies choppped, 1 tablespoon grated fresh galangal, 3 stems fresh lemon grass chopped, 6 green shallots chopped, 2 cloves of garlic chrushed, 1 teaspoon belacan, 750g medium uncooked prawns, 1 tablespoon tamarind paste, 1/2 cup (125ml) hot water, 80g ghee, 2 cups (300g) frozen Broad Beans thawed.
(1) Blend or process chillies,galangal,lemongrass,shallots,garlic and belacan until finely chopped.
(2) Shell and devein prawns place tamarind and hot water in bowl stand for 10 minutes squeeze liquid from tamarind strain and reserve liquid discard tamarind.
(3) Heat ghee in pan or wok add chillies mixture cook stirring until fragrant, add prawns and broad beans cook stirring until prawns are just cooked, add reseved tamarind liquid simmer uncovered for about 2 minutes or until beans are tender. This should serves 4-6 people. Recipe best be made just before serving. Freeze: not suitable. Microwave: not suitable.
I hope everyone like this recipe and let me know what you think of this.
George T Saviel.
20 September 2010