How to Bake Chocolate Chip Cookies for Beginners
The smell of freshly baked cookies is timeless and ageless. From kids just learning to bake, to adults wanting to relive their childhoods, chocolate chip cookies are always a good choice. By following these instructions, learn the simple and easy way to bring joy back to the kitchen.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup shortening or 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 Cup packed brown sugar (total sugar should equal 1.5 cups)
- 3/4 – 1 Cup white sugar (total sugar should equal 1.5 cups)
- 1 – 2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 Cups chocolate chips
Tip: Make sure butter is at room temp. and not directly from refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Gently mix together and set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl mix butter/shortening, brown sugar and white sugar. Once mixed add the eggs and pure vanilla and combine until uniform.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in the first bowl to the wet ingredients in the second bowl. Now you should be working with only one bowl. At this point mix until you have a moderately thick batter and everything looks combined.
- Add the Chocolate Chips! Mix thoroughly.
- Prepare a baking sheet/cookie sheet by wiping it down with a light coat of olive oil. Use a small brush or paper towel to distribute the oil.
- Take golf-ball sized portions of the dough (ice-cream scooper works well for this) and lay them out on the baking sheet. Leave about 1 inch between the dough balls to allow them to spread out.
- Put the cookies in the oven and bake for 8-10 min. If they look doughy leave them in for another minute or two.
- Using a spatula, lift the cookies from the baking sheet. They should come off easily because of the olive oil. Place them on wax paper or tin foil.
- Last and final step is to let them sit and cool for 5 min. Then ENJOY!