4. Mexican Tacos – Easy Recipes for Everyone
A really simple and healthy recipe, the stove and an oven is needed.
Adult supervision is recommended if children will be trying out this recipe.
This is a really simple and healthy recipe, although it does involve cooking on a stove top and an oven. It is a relatively safe recipe to introduce children to cooking in the kitchen and using the oven. Remember to have an adult present and supervising the children at all times if children wish to try out this recipe.
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil (2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 carrot grated
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 200g lean beef mince
- 2 tablespoons red kidney beans (canned)
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 taco shells
- 1/2 large tomato, diced
- 2 lettuce leaves, shredded
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of salt
- Personal hygiene.
- Turn oven on to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Collect utensils and ingredients.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan or wok.
- Cook carrot, onion, celery, paprika, cumin, coriander. Cook then add meat and cook until it is brown, then stir in tomato paste and water.
- Prepare tomato, lettuce and avocado while meat is simmering.
- Place taco shells on a baking tray and place on hot oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Add kidney beans to meat and heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove taco shells from oven and divide meat mixture evenly between the shells.
- Top meat mixture with cheese, tomato, lettuce and avocado (in any order as desired).
- Clean up.