Bharela Bhinda(okra)- A Deliciously Different Recipe
How to make the traditional bharela bhinda in a way different than the traditional way making it yummier and tastier.
This is a simple recipe, which was handed down to me by my mother. I belong to a Gujarati family where bhindi is a common favourite. It happens to be simple and yet innovative and different in style. It gives a different taste to the traditional stuffed okra recipe. But it has been a common favourite of all those who have tried it and therefore, I would like to share it here.
- Bhindi (Okra) 250 gms
- Ginger ½ inch
- Garlic 5-6 big cloves
- Fresh green coriander 8-9 strands
- Green Chillies 3
- Peanuts 10-15
- Tumeric 1/2tsp
- Red chilly powder according to taste
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Wash and clean the bhindi (okra) and allow to dry on an absorbent cloth
- Now grind the ginger, garlic using a traditional stone grinder or in a mixer. If doing in a mixer don’t make a very fine paste, let it remain coarse.
- Then add peanuts to the paste and fresh coriander and grind them also, making a coarse paste. Also add the tumeric and red chilly powder.
- Now add the sugar and salt and lemon juice to the paste
- Slit the dry bhindi vertically
- Now stuff the bhindi individually with the filling prepared
- Take some oil in a big pan and heat it
- Once hot add the bhindi directly into the oil and also add the remaining filling into the oil
- Now keep stirring the bhindi on a high flame for about 10 minutes
- Lower the flame to a minimum and cover the pan with lid
- Put some water in the lid and allow to cook
- Stir occasionally till the okra appear to be done
- Serve hot with chapattis