Grilled Chicken Skewers with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
These skewers are economical and simple to make, but the homemade Tzatziki sauce makes them taste like a million bucks. This recipe will make 10-12 skewers, depending on the size of the chicken breast. The sauce should be made several hours ahead as you will need to drain the Yogurt to thicken it.
- 10-12 wooden skewers
- 4 boneless Chicken breasts cut into ½ inch wide strips
- 2 cups plain whole-fat Yogurt
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 small seedless English cucumber, peeled, shredded and chopped
- Juice of 1 Lemon or Lime
- ½ Tbsp extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic, grated
- 1 tsp minced fresh Parsley
- ½ tsp minced fresh Dill weed
- Freshly ground black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- Put Yogurt in a cheesecloth lined strainer, cover and refrigerate 3-5 hours (make sur eyou have underneath to catch the liquid)
- Shred and chop cucumber, put into a small bowl and cover with a little salt, mix and let stand
- After 3-5 hours, transfer the thickened Yogurt to a bowl
- Drain liquid from Cucumber and squeeze out any excess liquid by wrapping it in a towel and pressing it.
- Combine all ingredients (except chicken) in the bowl with the Yogurt and mix well.
- Adjust Salt and Pepper
- Transfer sauce to an air-tight container.
- Place chicken on skewers and brush with a little Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper and Garlic powder
- Grill over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until juices run clear
Tip: Always soak wooden skewers in water for at least ½ hour before putting on the meat. It`ll keep them from burning.