Sarawakian Recipe: Pansoh Manok
Pansoh manok or chicken in bamboo is one of the best known Sarawakian dishes.
Pansoh manok or chicken in bamboo is one of the best known Sarawakian dishes. It is easy to prepare provided you can get all the required ingredients. Please take note of one of the ingredients, bungkang leaves or Eugenia Sp. This ingredient may be substituted with dried bay leaves.
Picture source: Come Dine With Chef Rossi
1) 1kg chicken pieces
2) 2 garlic cloves, finely ground
3) 2 lemongrass, bruised
4) 20g ginger, sliced
5) 20g bungkang leaves, crushed (may substitute with dried bay leaves)
6) 1 tsp salt
7) 1 bamboo log
1 gob of tapioca leaves
- Mix ingredients no.1 to no.6 in a large bowl and set it aside for at least 15 minutes
- Stuff the mixture into the bamboo log and seal it with a gob of tapioca leaves
- Cook it slowly over burning wood or charcoal for 45 minutes
- To serve, remove the tapioca leaves and drain the tasty juice into a bowl. Extract the chicken and arrange on a serving dish with the juice.