Cornmeal Pudding: Jamaican Style
To be able to make this Jamaican cornmeal pudding the way how Miss Vira made it is the wish of every Jamaican woman.
Image via Wikipedia
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp spoon vanilla
- ½ cup raisins
- 8 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsps melted butter
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl including raisins
2. Mix all liquids together included melted butter
3. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
4. Grease a baking tin large enough to hold butter and pour in the mixture
5. Bake the cornmeal pudding in an oven 350°F for 1 hour, or until done.
6. Pudding is done when the liquid dries out leaving a jelly like custard on top.
I7. If liquid on top is dried out just add some sweetened coconut milk or even water and use a wooden spoon to mixed it in on the top then leave to set and form a jelly.
If you use a coal stove with low fire and set the pudding to bake on it ,then use a piece of tin to cover the top( even a pot cover wider than the baking tin will do). Put a little of the live coals on top of the tin ;you will get a better tasting and texture cornmeal pudding.