Recipe Corner – Tandoori Chicken Tikkas
The most famous Indian recipe-tandoori chicken tikka is very easy to prepare at home. Chicken tikka was voted the UK’s most popular dish.
250 g boneless chicken.
FOR THE MARINADE:
1. 1/2 cup hung yogurt
HUNG YOGURT: Place plain yogurt in a fine, nylon-mesh strainer or a muslin cloth and allow to drip for 1 hour or until the water content is reduced and the yogurt becomes extra thick and creamy.
2. 1 tsp cream.
3. 1/2 tsp cornflour.
4. 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
5. 1 tsp lemon juice.
6. 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves.
7. 1 pinch cardamom powder.
8. 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
9. 1 tsp tandoori masala.
10. 2-3 drops orange-red food colour.
11. Salt to taste.
12. Oil or butter, for basting.
13. Lemon juice and chatt masala, to sprinkle.
1. Cut the chicken into medium-sized pieces, place in a bowl and jab all over with a fork.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade, pour over the tikkas and toss till well coated; refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Line a grill tray with foil, arrange the tikkas on it, place under a hot grill and cook, basting with oil/butter, till the chicken is tender and begins to brown; turn the pieces and grill the other side. Or, skewer the tikkas on rods and grill them over a barbecur or in a tandoor, basting with butter/oil as required.
4. Transfer the cooked tikkas to a non-stick pan, sprinkle with lemon juice and chaat masala and saute on high heat for 1 minute.
5. Serve the tikkas on a platter along with grated radish, onion rings, lemon wedges and green chutney.
NOTE: Cornflour is added so that the tikkas remain well coated with the marinade and full of flavour.
Try this at home and enjoy eating.