Tingle Your Tongue Five – French Toast W Crushed Berries, Ricotta Cheese and Canadian Maple Syrup
This dish is very popular, at present, in Australian cafes. This is the ideal breakfast or brunch dish. Enjoy with your favourite coffee or American-style with a few rashers of crispy bacon on the side. Serves a couple of people majestically.
Image by avlxyz via Flickr | Australian cafe in full brunch mode – yum!
2 slices of thick white toast
4 eggs – whisked for thirty seconds with a dash of milk
Knob of butter
300 grams (a small tub) low-fat or regular Ricotta cheese. Available fresh from the deli or in a tub from the supermarket
300 grams (three quarters of a cup) Frozen mixed berries or any type of berry – either fresh or frozen – defrosted. Available from the supermarket freezer section or from specialty fruit shops
Half a cup Pure Canadian maple syrup. It’s costly, but worth it, as you will use it for other things like pancakes and drinks.
1. Drown the slices of bread in the egg and milk while you prepare a big fry pan
2. Melt the butter, on low heat, with a dash of olive oil to prevent it scalding.
3. When the butter is sizzling, drain the bread and put the bread coated in egg into the hot pan
4. Turn the bread when it is golden on each side and a little puffy
5. Place each piece of French toast on separate plates and put Ricotta cheese on first
6. Put the berries on the Ricotta cheese
7. Drizzle the maple syrup over the lot and serve.
Add a couple of crispy bacon rashers for that Yankee touch
If you can’t get berries then roast and slice bananas, papayas or mangoes.
With delicious coffee of your choice – Italian and American style are ideal
Why not try these other recipes from Australia?