Ackee and Saltfish Jamaican Style
Ackees and codfish dish is Jamaica’s national dish. Ackees do have a large fat content, carries a toxin that if eaten before the fruits are fully opened will cause food poisoning.
Best pan to prepare the ackee and codfish
Image via Wikipedia
- 1/2 lb saltfish (dried, salted codfish)
- 2 dozens fresh ackees or 2 cans of tinned ackees
- 1 medium onion
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 hot pepper ( Scotch Bonnet is best )
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or (1/4 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 stalks escallion
- ½ tsp vinegar2 (Slices of bacon) optional)
- Wash codfish and put in a bowl. Cover the fish with fresh cold water and Leave to soak overnight to remove excess salt. (For fast action the fish may be cooked then flaked and wash 2-3 times to remove excess salt.)
- If fresh ackees are used remove seed and the red pit inside the ackees
- Boil with the cod fish in about 1 ½ quarts of water. (If canned ones) are used then
- Cook the fish: Bring a pan of cold water to the boil and gently simmer the fish for 20 minutes (until the fish is tender).
- Remove the fish from water and allow to cool( wash if still salt)
- Remove all of bones and skin then flake the flesh of the fish.
- Chop the ingredients: the onion, sweet pepper, hot pepper, escellion, tomatoes, garlic,
- Pour oil into frying pan put the onion, black pepper, sweet pepper, hot pepper, thyme tomatoes, sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the flaked fish, the vinegar and stir-fry for another 1 minutes
- Add the ackees ,stir lightly to distribute all the ingredients evenly and to avoid breaking ackees.
Serving: Serve with roasted breadfruit , green bananas, fried dumplings, bread and callaloo
This will serve 4-6 individuals