How to Prepare Shrimp Fried Rice
Shrimp fried rice is a delicacy enjoyed in Nigeria.
• 4 ounces of frozen uncooked shrimp, unshelled
• 1 tbsp oyster sauce (optional)
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 ½ tsp water
• 4 ounces cooked ham
• 1 medium onion
• 2 green onions
• 2 eggs (more if desired)
• ½ cup peas
• 4 cups cold cooked rice
• 4 to 5 tbsp oil for stir-frying, or as needed
1. Run the frozen shrimp under warm running water, pat dry with papper towels, shell and devein. Chop into small pieces. Add the marinade ingredients and marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Dice the ham, onion, and green onion.
3. Beat the eggs lightly, add a dash of salt, and mix set aside.
4. Heat the saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of oil. When oil is ready, pour half of the egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, turning over once. Cook the other half the same way. Cut the egg into thin strips, and save for later.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, or as needed. When oil is hot, stir-fry the onion and shrimp on heat for a few minutes, remove and set aside. Do the same for the green peas, and then the diced them.
6. Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil, turn the heat down to medium and stir-fry the rice. Add a bit of soy and oyster sauce if desired. Add the other ingredients except the egg and green onion and combine thoroughly. Serve the fried rice with the strips of egg on top and the green onion as garnish.
You can also add a bit of oyster sauce if desired, alternately you can mix the green onion and egg in with the other ingredients.