Southwest Tuna Noodle Bake
Shred and Freeze Cheese
It’s usually cheaper to buy cheese in blocks than in shredded form. So I purchase large quantities of cheddar, Monterey Jack and mozzarella, then shred them myself in my food processor. I store the shredded cheese in the freezer in heavy-duty resealable plastic bags, so I have it at my fingertips whenever it’s needed.
- Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- Yield: 6 Servings
15 30 45 Ingredients
- 1 package (16 ounces) egg noodles
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the milk, tuna, soups, cheese and chilies. Drain noodles; gently stir into tuna mixture.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with tortilla chips. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1-1/2 cups equals 673 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 1,241 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 36 g protein.
English: A block of pepper jack cheese. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)