published by Jennifer Howard on Mar 3, 2008
Learn how to make delicious fajitas quickly and easily by yourself.
- Chicken, Beef, or Both: 3lbs
- 3 packages fajita seasoning: ingredients per directions
- 2 onions
- 2 large bell peppers
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Salsa or hot sauce
Making great fajitas is really easy and fun.
- First start by preparing the chicken for cooking. I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts for making fajitas. I like to first start by cutting the breast in half making two fillets so the breast is not as thick. Then I cut the pieces into ¼ inch strips. When I make beef fajitas I buy thin cut steak and cut into ¼ inch strips just like the chicken. Place in a larger bowl
- Mix the fajita seasoning according to the directions on the package pour over chicken/beef set aside in the refrigerator. Some times I also squeeze lime juice over the meat to give so extra flavor.
- Clean your preparation area thoroughly before you go about cutting the vegetables. Peal the onion and cut both ends off. Set the onion on one of the flat ends this will make cutting easier. Cut the onion in half, then cut into triangular sections. Doing this will give you strips when you take the onion apart. Now cut the peppers in half and seed them. Then cut these into strips also. Place these in a bowl and set aside.
- Now take the other onion and dice it, (cut into small pieces). Place the diced onion in a small bowl. Cut the tomato and shred the lettuce and place them in small bowls. Set these aside, they will be used to top the fajitas later on.
- Place a large skillet on medium heat on the stove top. Remove the fajita meat from the refrigerator and place in the skillet. If everyone likes bell peppers and onions then add the them now. If not they could be cooked in a separate skillet with a few teaspoons of oil. Cook the meat and vegetables on medium till the meat has an internal tem of 160 and the onion and peppers are tender.
- Once the fajita meat is cooked, heat the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on the number of tortillas you are heating. Place the tortilla on a plate fill with the meat, onions, and bell peppers. Now you can add any of the toppings you prepared earlier. I like to place the cheese first so it melts easier. You can serve with rice and beans. Enjoy.