Good just by themselves.
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
· 1 large shallot, minced
· 1 pound ground lamb
· 4 ounces salt pork, ground or finely minced
· Zest of 1 orange
· 2 tablespoons chopped mint
· Freshly ground black pepper
· Greek yogurt for dipping
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and add oil, garlic, jalapeño and shallot, and cook for 1 minute, then let cool.
- Meanwhile, crumble lamb into a large bowl.
- Evenly scatter salt pork, orange zest and mint over lamb, and season with pepper.
- Sprinkle the cooled garlic mixture over lamb.
- Gently mix until just combined, then form into 1¼-inch balls and transfer to a plate or sheet pan.
- Heat a large cast iron pan over medium to medium high heat.
- Working in batches if necessary to prevent crowding, brown meatballs on all sides until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with toothpicks or skewers with plain yogurt.