Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage
A simple recipe on how to make the irishes favorite food – corned beef and cabbage.
HI – and welcome back to a new session of eveningmarerh’s great articles… Today we will be talking about how to make the old Irish recipes – “Corned Beef And Cabbages” me and my family have been doing this for years, so hope you’ll be doing it to. Well hope you get the recipe right and good luck… oh - and have a good saint Patric’s day !!
Ingrediants: This will make 5 servings (in case of a big party – the portions will have to be doubled or tripled to make more.
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 10 small red potatoes
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges
- Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
- Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.
- Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.
This recipe is greatly accompanied by a cup of Zinfandel and some bloody mary – hope you like it as much as I do…