Triple Stuffed Bell Peppers
This is perfect for stuffed pepper connoisseurs around the world, as I have combined a variety of methods to make highly flavored, great stuffed peppers.
Due to its all round popularity there are a considerable number of “local” stuffed pepper styles and themes that reflect locally available/seasonal ingredients and produce. The name for each style is taken from the region where it originated.
Variations on a Theme – The standard American version of stuffed peppers along with other regional variants from Africa, Asia, Australia, Bulgarian, India, Italian, Japanese, Mediterranean, South American, South Western etc all add their own “spin” on a dish that has well and truly stood the test of time.
Popularity – Stuffed peppers were popular in days gone by and will undoubtedly continue to be popular into the foreseeable future.
Triple Peppers – This particular recipe; for stuffed bell peppers is my favorite and calls for the use of three different types of bell pepper; green, red and yellow which makes the creation of ideas for presentation a real no-brainer.
Italian-Style Stewed Tomatoes – Using Italian-style stewed tomatoes has the added advantage of already being seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices including: oregano, garlic and basil which certainly results in the dish even more flavorsome and pleasing to the palate.
- 1 Pound (½ Kg) of Ground Lean Beef
- 1 Can (14½ Ounces) of Italian-Style Stewed Tomatoes
- 4 Medium Green Bell Peppers
- 4 Medium Red Bell Peppers
- 4 Medium Yellow Bell Peppers
- 2 Large Onions
- ½ Cup of Uncooked Rice
- 3 Tablespoons Catsup
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano Leaves
- ½ Teaspoon each of Garlic and Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Finely dice onion. Should make ¾ Cup of finely diced onion. If short then you will need another onion.
- Cut the tops off of the green bell peppers and remove the seeds
- In a separate bowl add the ground beef, the onion, the rice, 2 tablespoons of catsup, ½ teaspoon each of oregano, crushed garlic, salt and black pepper
- Now gently mix until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed
- Spoon an equal portion of the meat mixture into each bell pepper
- As you go place the filled bell peppers into an 8-inch square baking dish
- Now thoroughly combine the tomatoes, remaining catsup and oregano
- Pour over stuffed peppers
- Preheat oven to 3500 F
- Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and place it into your preheated oven
- Bake for 1½ Hours