Golden crispy potato rolls are a fast to make and budget friendly favorite with one and all. Let’s face it we all love our finger food, especially the dunking types.
No doubt about it these golden crispy potato rolls are always a favorite at any party and dinner time alike.
- 2 Large Potatoes
- 12 Large Spring Roll Wrappers
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon each of Butter, Full Cream Milk, Poppy Seeds and Cumin Seeds
- ½ Teaspoon of Red Chili Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon of Garam Marsala
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Salt to Taste
- Cooking Oil for Frying
- Water as Needed
- Cook and Mash Potatoes – Wash and peel the potatoes (when using new potatoes I usually just give them a wash and a quick once over with a scourer to remove dirt and most of the skin). Remove any eyes. Boil the potatoes in water with a little salt. Once cooked; drain off the water and mash your potatoes with 1 tablespoon milk and 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine.
- Seasoning Mashed Potato Filling – Crush the garlic (using a garlic press is the easiest way to do this) and add to potatoes. Also add the red chili powder, cumin seeds, Garam Marsala along with a little freshly ground black pepper. If you are going to add some additional salt do so now. Thoroughly mix the spices in with the mashed potatoes. Once done; set to one side to cool.
Note: Because the potatoes were cooked in salted water and probably won’t require much additional salt. Consider using onion salt instead of regular salt.
- Cut Spring Roll Wrappers – Cut the spring roll wrappers in half to make 24 strips.
- Filling the Spring Roll Wrappers – Using one cut-in-half spring roll wrapper at a time; add a healthy teaspoon full of potato mash filling along one of the halved spring roll wrappers short edges.
- Rolling the Potato Rolls – Now roll your spring roll wrapper over once, tuck in the ends and continue rolling until you get near to the very end and stop.
- Sealing the Potato Rolls – Now use your finger or a pastry brush to sprinkle or paint a line of water along the inside of the open edge surface. This is to make sure that your wrapper will not unravel itself. Finish rolling your potato roll checking to make sure that the end has stuck properly.
- Poppy Seeds – Sprinkle with poppy seeds and transfer to a platter covered with a damp cloth to keep your potato rolls from drying out. Repeat this process until all strips are used.
- Heat Cooking Oil – Using a non-stick fry pan add your cooking oil and bring it up to a suitable temperature for shallow frying.
- Batch Fry – It is most advisable to never crowd your frying pan. This becomes ever more crucial when shallow frying. For this reason we will cook our potato rolls in batches of a few at a time. Once the cooking oil is ready add your first batch of potato rolls. Shallow fry until potato rolls become crisp and golden on both sides.
- Drain Excess Oil – Drain nay excess oil from your potato rolls by placing them on paper towels
These portions make 24 golden crispy potato rolls and should take less than an hour from go to stop and are best served warm.
When served as an entrée, snack, finger food, party food it is a good idea to have your potato rolls accompanied by ample portions of ketchup, chutney or dunking sauces of your choice.
When accompanying a main course you will find that you have a choice of serving the potato rolls with your main course or as a self-serve side dish. Anyway whichever way you go enjoy!