Puliyodarai: A Tasty Dish From South Indian Vaishnavites (Iyengars)
Puliyodarai, Puliyodhara, Pulihora, or Tamarind Rice is a popular dish often prepared in South Indian Vaishnavite temples as well as in the households of South Indian Vaishnavites (Iyengars).
It has awesome taste i.e. sour, salty, hot and spicy taste. It is the preferred lunch packing during travel. It is usually served in almost all South Indian Restaurants.
- Asafotida (Hing) ¼ teaspoon
- Bengal Gram Dal (Channa Dal / Kadalai Paruppu) 25 grams
- Black Gram (Ulutham Paruppu) 15 grams
- Cashew nut 10 numbers
- Coriander Seeds (Dhania) 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seed (Jeerakam) ½ teaspoon
- Curry Leaves two sprig
- Fenugreek seeds (Vendayam) ½ teaspoon
- Ground Nut (Roasted and skin removed) 30 numbers
- Mustard Seeds one teaspoon
- Red Chills 25 grams
- Rice One cup
- Sesame (Til or Gingily) Oil 200 grams
- Salt to r Taste
- Tamarind (de-seeded) one large lemon size ball
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi or Manjal Powder) one teaspoon
- Soak tamarind in water for 30 min or until it is get very soft to squeeze thick juice from it and keep it aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a thick bottomed vessel. Add red chilies, Bengal Gram Dal and Black Gram Dal and stir well till turns golden brown color. Afterwards add mustard seeds.
- Add turmeric juice and stir well under low flame.
- Check the consistency. When the ingredient turns thick (semi solid) liquid, add chopped curry leaves and salt. Add Asafotida powder at last and switch off the stove and allow it to cool. It is known as Pulikkachal (Ready made Puliyodarai mix). You may store it in a sterile bottle or jar.
- Wash the rice, add water and pressure cook the rice. Allow it to cool.
- Spread the cooked rice in a wide plate. Add one or two tablespoon of sesame oil. Make the rice and oil mix together.
- Add tamarind Pulikkachal and spread the liquid and rice to mix together evenly. Add more sesame oil to make the rice even.
- Dry roast the Fenugreek seeds separately till it turns golden color and dry grind the seeds to coarse powder. Add this powder at the last and stir well.
- Add roasted cashew nut and ground nut and stir well.
- Are you smelling the fine aroma of South Indian Vaishnavite Iyengar’s Puliyodarai?
- Serve the tasty Puliyodarai in a plate.