Here’s a quick and easy egg salad that can be adapted to many needs including as a light meal, sandwich filling or even as a savory egg dip.
Here is an easy egg salad recipe that can be readily modified depending upon your intentions. You can quickly adjust it to make it suitable for use as a sandwich filling, a table dressed egg salad or even as a spicy egg dip.
- 8 Eggs
- 1 Shallot
- 3 Tablespoons of Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Sprigs of Parsley
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Szechuan Peppercorns
- First up hard boil the eggs and then peel them. When they have cooled dice them up or simply use a fork to roughly mash and mix the whites and yolks together.
Hard Boiled Double-yolked Egg
- Wash and finely dice the shallot. Do the same with the parsley. Now put the diced parsley and diced shallots into the same small bowl and set to one side.
- Now add the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard to your bowl of diced/mashed eggs and mix thoroughly until the mixture holds together well. Additional mixing will result in a more creamy paste being created which is an ideal starting point for making a savory egg dip.
- Now add in the diced parsley and shallot and give a quick stir just long enough to distribute the parsley and shallots more or less evenly throughout the mix. Add a little ground salt and some freshly ground Szechuan peppercorns to taste and give the mix a final stir.
These portions will yield 4 adult-sized servings. As a rule of thumb you can tweak your ingredient portions based around 2 eggs per serving and adjust accordingly. Whenever using this egg salad as a filling for sandwiches I work on 2 eggs per 3 slices for open sandwiches (you can simply add another 3 slices of bread for closed sandwiches).
You can also serve dollops of your savory egg paste on top of halved hard boiled eggs as seen in figure 4 below or simply spooned onto lettuce leaves if you are particularly keen to have an impressive presentation.
Line a bowl with lettuce leaves and place your savory egg dip into that for a more elaborate party dip presentation that is sure to impress.
When it comes to hamburger buns I calculate at pretty much the same rate if they are the large hamburger buns and there are to be other fillings such as hamburger patties, cheese, lettuce and onions etc. that are also going to be included into the burger.
Anyway, however you go enjoy!