· 2 teaspoons white vinegar
· 1 Tbsp water
· 1/2 cup chopped green onion, including greens
· 2 cloves garlic, chopped
· 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
· 1 teaspoon ground allspice
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
· 1 teaspoon ground ginger
· 1 teaspoon molasses
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, at least 16% fat
· 2 cups shredded cabbage
· 1/4 cup chopped red onion
· Pinch of chopped thyme
· 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
· 2 Tbsp of orange juice or lime juice (if using lime juice add a teaspoon of sugar)
· 1 teaspoon of grated orange or lime zest
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a food processor, put the vinegar, water, chili, green onion, garlic, thyme, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, molasses, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Pulse until finely chopped.
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
- Using your hands, gently mix the jerk mixture in with the ground beef in a large bowl until just incorporated.
- Do not over-mix. Shape into patties, about 1/2 inch thick and wider than the diameter of your hamburger bun.
- Chill about 30 minutes or until you are ready to cook.
- In a medium bowl, gently mix the cabbage, red onion, thyme, mayonnaise, citrus juice, zest, salt and pepper.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill for cooking over high direct heat.
- Place the patties on the clean, well-oiled grill grate.
- Grill the burgers for about 5 minutes per side.
- Do not press down on the burgers while cooking.
- If you don’t have a grill, you can use a grill pan or a cast iron frying pan.