Jerk Chicken is a popular Jamaican cuisine. "Jerk", the method of cooking meat, dates back to the Carib-Arawak Indians who inhabited Jamaica. The meat is not only wonderfully spiced, but moist and tender.
- 3 1/2 lb chicken (whole chicken)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (habaneros) or jalapenos, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- juice of one green lime
- 1 cup white vinegar
OTHER THINGS YOU’LL NEED:
- medium bowl
- Cut whole chicken into four quarters and place in bowl. Rinse in lime juice and vinegar.
- In a blender or food processor, place allspice, salt, black pepper, brown sugar, thyme, ginger, nutmeg and vegetable oil. Blend well, then mix in onions, garlic and peppers until almost smooth.
- Pour most of the blended mixture into bowl with chicken, reserving a small amount to use as a basting sauce while cooking. Cover, and marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to about 375 degrees; or, for a delicious grilled jerk chicken, preheat outdoor grill on medium heat.
- Cook for approximately 1 hour in the oven or on the grill until done.
Serves 4 people.