Easy Coconut Rice Recipe
Delicious and easy to make, Easy Coconut Rice complements any Asian family meal. Try this Thai Coconut Rice recipe for a different side dish.
Image via Wikipedia
Note: Although Thai jasmine rice is used in Easy Coconut Rice, plain white rice works well too.
- 2 c jasmine/Thai scented rice
- 1 c water
- 2 c unsweetened coconut milk (homemade, tinned or frozen)
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- shredded coconut to garnish
- Wash the rice in cold water until it runs clear. Drain well.
- Mix the water, coconut milk, sugar and salt in a heavy saucepan or rice cooker bowl. Add the rice, cover and bring to a boil or start the rice cooker. Stir the rice and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or so until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed. The rice cooker does this automatically.
- Turn off the heat and let the Coconut Rice steam covered and undisturbed for 10 minutes. The rice cooker will switch to ‘warm’ mode.
- Before serving fluff the Coconut Rice gently with a fork. Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top if desired.