How to Make Homemade Chipotle Powder
published by Kaz M on Aug 10, 2009
Make your own chipotle powder. It’s way better than store bought.
- A charcoal BBQ or smoker
- Jalepenos (as many as will fit on your BBQ)
- Hickory (or some kind of fruitwood))
- A coffee grinder
- Six to twelve beers
- A glass of OJ
- An oven
- Smoke alarm
- 12 hours
- Start by soaking your wood chips in water while you get everything else prepared. Get your fire going in you BBQ. Make it small! You only want the BBQ to reach between 150-175 degrees. Cut the tops off of the jalepenos and slice them down one side. Open them up a little, this will allow the smoke to get inside the jalepenos. Place them on the BBQ anywhere.
- A quick note. Before going to the washroom or touching your genitals in any way (or someone else’s) wash your hands!
- Throw a few of the wood chips on the charcoal. Remember, keep that temp low. The idea is to dry out the jalepenos not cook them.
- Now crack open a beer and watch. Add more wood chips when the smoke stops and more charcoal when the temp starts to drop. After 12 hours and six to twelve beers, remove the the dirty pots and pans you didn’t want to wash from your oven. Place the jalepenos and in the oven. Turn it on to 150 degrees and leave overnight make sure your smoke alarm is working (remember you’ve had a lot of beer). In the morning When the jalepenos are crispy. Grind them in the coffee grinder. Wash down two advil with a tall glass of OJ for you hang over. Place your dirty dishes back in the oven and go back to bed.