Tingle Your Tongue Six – Crunchy Rosti W Topping of You’re Choosing
"Kartoffelpuffen," in Germany and, "Hash Brown," in the USA is a winner for its golden crunch.
Ideal side dish or starter that wins hearts. One rosti feeds two when sliced in half then served as a side with vegetables and meat.
1 large unwashed Golden Delight Potato or any potatoes ideal for frying; consult your green grocer, as to the premium tuber, for frying. Shredded in food processor
250 ml (Quarter of a cup) virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt
Generous grind or pinch of pepper
Preheat Oven 100 Degrees C. (Low Oven) and prepare a tray with alfoil and brown paper sprinkled with good quality salt
1. Choose a large and unwashed Golden Delight potato or any decent frying potato from the grocer
2. Bring it home and scrub it with a tough brush under the tap until the skin is clean
3. Remove dark bits, and take out the eyes with a small knife, leaving the skin on
4. Chop it to fine shreds in your food processor. If you don’t have a machine pummel it with a cuisine mallet until it’s smashed to fine shred
5. In a non-stick small frying pan heat the oil on low until hot
6. Pour in the shredded potato and even it across the pan with a wooden spoon until a roundel
7. Cover; keeping the heat on low. The idea is to steam it as you turn it golden
8. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes on the first side until the edges have a definite golden brown look to it
9. Drain some oil off flipping the rosti quickly to keep it shape. Be careful of splashing, hot oil!
10. Cook for ten minutes on the second side; uncovered
11. Bake in the oven while you prepare other food or serve straight away with topping of your choice. The rosti get crispier the longer you bake it
Three Topping Suggestions
· Sour light cream with chives and tomato salsa
· Plain with extra salt and a dash of vinegar
·Cut in half and served with a meat and vegetable then dashed with Tabasco plus mayonnaise.
· Aim to get it crispy so please take your time
· The crunchier the better!
· No need to shred your potato with a hand-held grater as it takes too long. Food processor is ideal
Tantalize Your Tastebuds with these Top Recipes by j