Chao Tom – (Shrimp Rice Soup)
Shimp Rice Soup.
Chao tom – (shrimp rice soup.)
200g Raw rice, 250g Prawn meat, 50ml Fish sauce (Nuoc mam), 5g Black pepper, 4 Cloves Shallots, 60ml oil, 3 Cloves garlic- chopped, 1.5l stock , 5g salt, 40g coriander leaves,fresh, 1 stalk spring onion.
10ml Fish sauce (Nuoc mam) , 5g Black pepper, 10g Shallots- chopped.
1. Put the rice in a mortar to break it up.
2. Devein the prawn and cut into cubes, combine with the marinade; mix well.
3. Heat oil in a large pot,add the garlic and prawn meat. Stir fry for 2 minutes then add the stock, cover until boiling.
4. Add rice to stock and cook for 20 minutes, and add the remaining ingredients.
5. Remove from heat, transfer to soup tureen and sprinkle chopped coriander over the soup before serving. Serve hot.
This should serve about 4 people.
I hope you all like this soup.
George T Saviel.
Image by Laurel Fan via Flickr