How to Cook Chicken Arroz Caldo (Congee)
If you feel like eating congee, try this delicious Arroz Caldo recipe! You will probably eat bowls of them because it tastes great! Enjoy this easy Filipino dish!
Easy and Delicious Chicken Arroz Caldo Recipe (Congee)
What is Arroz Caldo?
Arroz Caldo means “hot rice”. The word Arroz means “rice” and the word Caldo means “hot”. This dish has a Spanish origin. Arroz Caldo is a very popular dish in the Philippines. Filipinos like to eat hot congee, and it is very similar to the Chinese congee or porridge. You can make a big pot of Arroz Caldo at home tonight for the whole family to enjoy!
Ingredients to make the Chicken Arroz Caldo:
Chicken – cut into serving pieces
Ginger – chopped
Garlic – chopped
Fish sauce (also called patis) – you can use any kind of fish sauce
Procedure to make the Chicken Arroz Caldo:
1. Boil some water and put the chicken pieces in. Once the water is boiling, drain the chicken. We always do this step first to remove the excess fat from the chicken.
2. Heat the oil in pan.
3. Saute the chopped ginger and garlic.
4. Add the chicken pieces.
5. Add the fish sauce. The fish sauce, plus the ginger and garlic will actually bring taste to the whole dish. Since fish sauce is already salty, there is no need to add any more salt.
6. Add the rice in.
7. Add water. The ratio of rice: water is about 1:10. So for every cup of rice, add 10 cups of water. However this is only an estimate. Different kinds of rice absorb water differently.
8. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 40 minutes.
9. Stir often so the congee does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
10. If the consistency is too thick, add more water (hot water).
11. Cook until desired consistency.
12. Serve hot! Yum!!
· You can soak the rice for about half an hour before cooking. This will make the Arroz Caldo cook faster.
· Mix different chicken parts such as legs and thighs, instead of all same chicken legs or all same chicken thighs.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make the Filipino Chicken Arroz Caldo! It tastes so good especially on a cold winter day!
Try these other easy recipes too!
Join me at Bukisa: http://www.bukisa.com/join/17553