Onion Avgolemono Soup
How to make Onion avgolemono soup.
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• Melt the low-fat spread or butter in a heavy saucepan, add the onions
and cook gently, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until
soft. Add the stock, and season with a little salt and pepper. Bring to the
boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
• Stir in the milk and heat through.
• Whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice. Add 2 ladlefuls of the hot
soup and whisk well. Stir the egg and lemon mixture into the soup, and
heat through gently, still stirring, until slightly thickened. Do not allow the
soup to boil or the egg will curdle.
• To make the croûtons, spread out the bread cubes on a baking tray, and
bake in the oven for 10 minutes until a deep golden brown.
• Ladle the soup into warm individual bowls, and sprinkle with the
croûtons just before serving.
4 large onions, thinly sliced
50g/2oz low-fat spread or butter
⁄4pt vegetable stock
⁄4pt skimmed milk
2 egg yolks
⁄2 teaspoon freshly squeezed
2 thick slices wholemeal bread,
salt and freshly ground black pepper