Spicy Potato and Sausage Soup
If you like the Olive Garden’s Potato and Sausage Soup, you will love this!!
A couple tips before you start:
- Prepare all of the ingredients that need to be cut, chopped, etc in the middle section before turning on your oven because everything goes really quick once you start.
- Most of the seasoning comes from the Italian sausage so pick one that you like, the heat of the “hot” sausage will spread out because of the amount of ingredients in the soup so the end result is only mild to medium heat level (you can add crushed red pepper if you want it hotter but it’s reasonably spicy as is).
- 2 Lbs. Hot Italian Sausage (take out of casing if in casing, so it looks like ground hamburger)
- 3/4 C. Diced Onion
- 4 oz Pancetta (cut into small pieces, something you would like to see in your spoon)
- 2 C. Diced Potato
- 2 C. Chopped Kale (chopped to about the size of the cabbage you see in most cole slaws. About 2 medium leaves/around 2 cups)
- 2 Tbls. Minced Garlic
- 2 C. Water
- 14.2 oz. Chicken Stock/Broth
- 2 C. Heavy Cream
Brown 2 lbs Hot Italian Sausage (uncased seems to work best, looks like ground hamburger) with 1/4 C. diced Onion (added part way through the browning)
After the sausage is browned, set aside
In the same pan (after the sausage is removed), cook 4 oz Pancetta over medium heat for about 3 minutes
1. Add ½ C. diced onions, cook until onions start to become translucent
2. Add 2 Tbls Minced garlic, stir well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes
3. Add 2 C. Diced Potato , stir well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes
4. Add 2 C. water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes) (I do this in the same pan, if your pan is not large enough, move everything to your large pan and use part of the liquid to deglaze the pan and add it back into the soup)
5. Add a 14.2 oz can of chicken stock/broth
6. Add, Browned Italian sausage and onions, heat until warmed through without boiling
7. Add 2 C. Heavy Cream
8. Add 2 C. Chopped Kale
Stir and serve!!! Great with a crusty bread!