Tex-mex Beef Barbeque
Prep: 20 min. Cook: five hours
Yield: 14 Servings.
- Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- Yield: 14 Servings
20 300 320 Ingredients
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 jar (18 ounces) hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 14 hamburger buns, split
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, onion, chili seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and lemon juice. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef; cool slightly. Shred and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns. Yield: 14 servings.
Note: This is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutritional Facts 1 sandwich equals 294 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 732 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
No More Tears
To reduce tears while cutting onions, freeze onions for 20 minutes before chopping. Also, use a very sharp knife when chopping onions and chop quickly. You can save both time and tears by chopping many onions at once. Freeze the extras in an airtight container for up to 3 months. (Before sauteing, thaw the onions and pat them dry. Frozen chopped onions can be added directly to soups or casseroles.)
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.