Three Ways to Eat Greek Yogurt
Some of the best ways to enjoy greek yogurt and the benefits it offers.
We’ve all heard about the health benefits of greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is yogurt that has had the whey strained out. It’s packed with protein, low in sugar, and delicious. There are tons of ways to eat it but these are my top three favorite ways to enjoy greek yogurt.
1. In A Smoothie - This is my favorite way to eat greek yogurt. I’ll typically put it in a smoothie after a workout since protein is really good for you after you work out. I’ll throw in some fruit, yogurt, honey, and some ice. The thickness of the yogurt is good for smoothies on its own but I like the extra texture the ice give it.
2. With Fruit And Honey - A delicious and simple breakfast. Get some greek yogurt, add berries and honey, and enjoy! I prefer blueberries but greek yogurt is delicious will all kinds of fruit!
Image by Klearchos Kapoutsis via Flickr
3. As Tzatziki - Tzatziki is an appetizer or sometimes dip/sauce with greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic and salt.
This is a recipe from Food Network. I typically replace homemade greek yogurt with Fage greek yogurt.
- 1 pound (1 pint) plain yogurt (whole milk or low fat)
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled and seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
Place the yogurt in a cheesecloth or paper towel-lined sieve and set it over a bowl. Grate the cucumber and toss it with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt; place it in another sieve, and set it over another bowl. Place both bowls in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours so the yogurt and cucumber can drain.
Transfer the thickened yogurt to a large bowl. Squeeze as much liquid from the cucumber as you can and add the cucumber to the yogurt. Mix in the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
I hope you have some great new ways to enjoy this delicious and very healthy food!