Fish ,Lime and Pineapple Soup.(laksa Pinang)
Fish,lime and Pineapple Soup, (LAKSA PINANG).
Image via Wikipedia
250g rice vermicelli noodles, 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, 600g snapper fillets, skinned,chopped, 1 1/2 cups (120g) bean sprouts, 4 fresh Kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded, 1/2 small (400g) pineapple chopped, 1 small (130g) green cucumber seeded sliced, 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh vietnamese mint leaves.
Spice Paste : 1 tablespoon Belacan, 3 small fresh red chillies chopped, 1 medium (150g) Onion chopped, 3 cloves garlic, 6cm piece (100g) fresh Galangel chopped, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon grass,2cm piece (30g) fresh turmeric, 1 1/2 teaspoon Sugar.
Stock: 2kg fish heads, 2 litres (8cups) water, 1 large (200g) Onion chopped, 5cm piece (40g) fresh ginger chopped, 2 stems fresh lemon grass chopped, 1 large sprig fresh mint, 1 large sprig fresh coriander root intack, 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves, 2 large (500g) ripe tomatoes chopped, 60g tamarind paste.
(1) Add noodles to large pan of boiling water,boil uncovered until tender drain rinse under cold water,drain.
(2) Heat oil in pan add spice paste cook stirring over low heat for about 7 minutes, or until fragrant, add stock simmer uncovered for 10 minutes add fish ,sprouts and limes leaves simmer uncovered for about 2 minutes or until fish is tender.
(3) Divide noodles pineapple, cucumber and mints between serving bowls, top with fish mixture.
(4) Spice Paste: Add Belacan to dry pan cook until dry and crumbly, Blend or process Belacan with remaining ingredients until well combined.
(5) Stock: Wash fish heads well ,combine fish heads and remaining ingredients in large pan simmer uncovered for 30 minutes remove pan from heat stand for 15 minutes strain ,you will need 2 litres (8cups stock). This will serves 4-6 people.
Spice paste and stock can be made a day ahead.
Storage: Covered in Refrigerator. Freexe: Stock Suitable, Microwave: Not uitable.
I hope you all like this Recipe.And let me know what you think of it.
George T Saviel
08 September 2010